The kids have gone back to school. The summer is almost over. But the fun continues in Newquay as the children leave and autumn rumbles ever closer.
This is the time of year when we start to welcome a different type of visitor at our smart bed and breakfast in Newquay, Cornwall, and the personality of the events and entertainment on offer in our lovely little town changes in line with the new season. Here are some of the best-fun things to do in Newquay and beyond during September.
The Big Crantock Bale Push
Friday 9th Sept 2016
Help earn lots of lovely money for incredibly good local causes at Langurroc Road, Crantock, on Friday 9th. Simply gather together a team of four and you’re eligible to join the fun pushing a big, heavy and awkward straw bale weighing in at 420lbs around the village. Crantock itself, just to the south of the River Gannel, is really lovely, dating way back to 460 AD when a group of Irish hermits founded a chapel there. And Crantock Beach, of course, sits right on the stunning Atlantic Ocean. What a backdrop for an unforgettable event!
The Little Orchard Cider & Music Festival
9th – 11th September
Healey’s Cyder Farm at Callestick, Truro, offers beautiful grounds to enjoy a three-day event fusing live music, secret cider walks, pig racing, a silent disco and hobbit-hut glamping. It’s truly magical, now in its 4th year and an increasingly popular fixture on the tourist calendar. Reef are headlining, and a host of fabulous bands will be joining them including Kernow King, Sound of the Sirens, Martin Harley, Belfast Busker and Mad Dog Mcrea.
There’s dancing until the early hours and this year you won’t want to miss the inaugural Little Orchard Feast Village, with fabulous foods from all over our county. If you’re in the market for a mouth-watering banquet set against a backdrop of wonderful music, grab tickets before they all go. And treat yourself to a stay at our B&B Newquay, Cornwall, for the duration of the festival.
The Newquay Fish Festival
16th – 18th September
This year’s Newquay Fish Festival kicks off on 16th with great music, entertainment, refreshments, arts and crafts and fantastic seafood, all taking place on the beach and around the harbour. Expect practical cookery demos from top class chefs like Nathan Outlaw and MasterChef’s James Nathan. This year there’s also a brand new attraction to enjoy, a proper Cornish Ceili complete with passionate Celtic music, wild dancing, and a great bar including a fine choice of local beers from Skinners Ales.
ThunderCat Racing National Championships
24th and 25th September
Love action, speed and sea-based thrills? The World’s Toughest Watersport championships take place at scenic Watergate Bay. Twenty teams will be competing in six heats, and on each day the top 12 teams qualify for a final 9 lap heat. It’s a thrill per second!
The Cornish Blue Grass Festival
16th – 18th September
Newquay’s award-winning Hendra Holiday Park is your destination for a feast of epic Bluegrass music, played in a beautiful 500 Seater Cabaret Room extended thanks to a massive eighty foot marquee. There’s a late night bar plus various musical instrument, dance and singing workshops, and fascinating Appalachian dance exhibitions. Yee har!
More events not to miss
- The St Mawgan Steam & Vintage Rally 2016 – 18th and 19th September – Trevenna Cross at St Mawgan near Newquay is your venue for the splendid St Mawgan’s Steam & Vintage Rally, complete with entertainment in the evenings.
- The Newquay Beer Festival – 23rd to 25th September – Hendra Holiday Park is your venue yet again for this year’s fabulous Newquay Beer Festival, with more than 80 real ales and ciders to test-drive plus wines, lagers and soft drinks. There’s also live music throughout
- Bowgie Grunge Night – 23rd September – Friday 23rd is your big night out, the night when the famously fun Bowgie Inn’s Friday Nights Revisited is set to deliver a Night of Grunge you won’t forget in a hurry… and it’s all in aid of Cornwall’s Hospice Care.
- Newquay Amateur Stage Company – Anything Goes – 28th Sept to 1st October – Fancy a spot of culture?The Newquay Amateur Stage Company’s latest masterpiece, Anything Goes, will take to the stage at St Michaels Church Hall.
- The Cornwall food & Drink Festival – 23rd to 25th September – Head for pretty Truro for a genuine gourmet treat thanks to the Great Cornish Food Festival, the world’s biggest event dedicated to Cornish food and drink.
Want to stay in supreme comfort?
Come and stay with us for supreme comfort, excellent facilities and a warm Cornish welcome. Our popular B&B in Newquay, Cornwall is a great base from which to enjoy the fun.