It’s that time of year, the deepest and darkest time, when the last thing you’re thinking about is taking a trip to the seaside. The weather is often diabolical, it gets dark about five minutes after it got light, and many people busy hibernating ’til things get nicer! We don’t blame them. But on the other hand there’s nothing quite like a brisk march along the seashore to get you going, and the sheer drama of Cornwall’s epic beaches is clearer than ever at this time of year.
If you fancy making your way to our lovely little town in January, Newquay is always warmly welcoming whatever the weather. And there are a couple of official events happening through January, covered at the top of the list below. Otherwise we’ll see you from March onwards, when we open our cosy B&B in Newquay for the holiday season.
Things to do in Newquay for January 2018
- Counting fish – Our town’s aquarium is carrying out a fish stocktake through January, so come along and help spot and record them
- MacMillan Cancer Care Mixed Up for Macmillan event on Lusty Glaze beach. There’s cool live music from Emma Chamberlain, Avenoir, KeyFigga and Molly Hocking and the fun kicks off at 6pm
- Brave the winds and have an alfresco picnic on the beach – remember, there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!
- Walk the coast – The coastal path is popular all year round, with awesome views of the Cornish seascapes and landscapes
- Pick a pub… our town has lots of really good pubs, many with excellent food on tap. Why not spend a long, lazy day with a beer or two, looking out of the window and watching the world go by?
- Do beachcombing – You wouldn’t believe the treasures that wash up on our local beaches, everything from natural wonders like seashells and smoothed rocks to strange and mysterious items that have travelled the ocean currents for years, decades or even hundreds of years before hitting land
- Tea and cake! Some people make an actual hobby out of having tea and cake, and we have some fab little tea shoppes to relax in
- Visit a gallery – We also have some nice art galleries to explore – maybe buy yourself a classy souvenir or just stock up on beautiful greetings cards
- Meet the animals at our great zoo
- ‘Do’ all of our beaches – explore Watergate Bay, Porth Beach, Whipsiderry Beach, Newquay Beach, Fistral Beach, Tolcarne Beach, Holywell Bay Beach, Polzeath Beach and Towan Beach
- Check the opening dates and times for all these local attractions, many of which are open all year round: Pirate’s Quest, Camel Creek Adventure Park, Trerice Manor House and Gardens, Flambards and the Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre
Book your Newquay holiday at our lovely b&b in Newquay, Cornwall, now!
As you can imagine, we get very busy as the holiday season approaches, and it’s always wise to book early to avoid disappointment. If you’re searching for a comfortable, convenient and welcoming bed and breakfast in Newquay, Cornwall is looking forward to meeting you. So get in touch and get it booked!